Tuesday, August 24, 2010

No Intimacy due to Social Networking

Today is quote unquote national Facebook fast day which was created by a Houston couple who believes that social networking sites particularly Facebook is taking time away from couples to become more intimate and endearing to each other. As I listened to the news story on MSNBC, I quickly realized that the couple has a point. For nearly 6 or more months I have barely been on Facebook while all my friends and associates cling to it daily. Constantly gossiping and putting all their business out there because they want the world to know every little detail.

In fact, I have seen people get mad at other people Facebook photos or statuses and all I can say is why. Nonetheless as I try to figure out the meaning of love, I believe that intimacy to any relationship is very important. Social networking sites can't replace the need to be wanted and no matter how much people deny it, they are wanting to be wanted which is why they turn to Facebook. People want to be accepted and approved of which is why they turn to social networking sites. Now there are some people who use Facebook simply to promote their company, a cause, etc. but half or more of the people on Facebook are simply on there to fill a void in there lives.

Thus the need to be intimate in a relationship is being replaced with social networking sites but it is only making relationships more difficult to have. In fact a good relationship needs intimacy to survive meaning to do things with each other that is just the two of them doing it and there are no distractions or technology involved unless it is watching a movie on TV or a DVD. This is why if I am to move forward, I must not allow social networking sites to hinder what I can have in my life. Using social networking sites for more than what they should be is not worth the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment